Monday, June 6, 2011

Picked up my "girls"!

The girl's are officially home!  We went over to Mr. Fine's home today where he has so many hives!  Another gentleman was there to pick his hives as well which is why I changed my plans and  picked mine up this evening as well.  I wanted to watch the process of Mr. Fine transferring the honey bees from their nucs into our hives.  It was wonderful!

It was so scary but so much fun!  There were bees flying everywhere, landing on my suit, crawling up my veil, all over my gloves...I will never forget that moment as long as I live.  The sound was incredible.  I put my hands on quite a few nuc boxes to feel the vibration.  Magical.  Simply magical. 


This is my mentor Mr. Fine.  He patiently answers each and every one of my questions without fail.  Notice he never wears gloves!

Getting the other gentlemans hives ready.  He was also such a trooper for allowing me to tag along on watching and filling his hives.

Arrived home a few minutes later and heaved the hives onto their stands.  Notice my husband standing quite close with no protection on at all.  They are quite gentle.  He also was my photgrapher for the evening as well as Travis Jr. here at the end.


I did make one error...when dropping off of my equipment last night, I had forgot to leave the inner cover.  Once I returned home with the girl's, I had to add one to each hive.

Biggest highlight of the evening....I didn't get stung!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment