Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lots of Activity at the Hives Today! Wax Moths, Drone Larvae

Beautiful day today and while I was out walking the farm, I stopped by the hives for a quick look. WOW! So much activity going on in front of the hives! Bees were flying every which way. My first thoughts were robbing, but that was not the case. Think it was just a traffic jam for the ladies trying to get out and do thier business on this beautiful sunshine day! If you click on the picture you will see how many are flying just outside the hive.

When I opened the outside cover on Hive #1, I found a WAX MOTH! Not good! They can and will destroy your hives! I think they were able to get in while I was ventilating the hives during that super hot spell we had last month. I was trying to move the moth so I could take a picture when one of the bees snatched her up and immediately killed her!


Still slow going as far as comb building is going. But I have been assured that this is perfectly normal. Tons of pollen being brought back into the hives. Look at this picture...Amazing to see all of the different colors of pollen the girls bring back. Again, click on the picture to enlarge it to really see!

Both hives are still going strong. Take a peek at the sheer number of bees that are loading this hive...

And finally, loads of drone larvae on the bottom of one frame! Couldn't believe how many there were! Also saw a few baby bees being born again today! Doesn't matter how many times I see it, it still is simply wonderful to watch!









No comments:

Post a Comment